Monday, August 5, 2024

Next Batch of Criterion Films

 I returned to the library the 6 Criterion films I'd checked out a couple weeks ago, and got a batch more.
I'd watched half of the six. I couldn't bring myself to watch Woman Under the Influence, didn't want to watch Valley of the Dolls, and I gave up after 3 minutes of the melodramatic That Hamilton Woman
I wrote up here Secrets & Lies and Sunday Bloody Sunday--both worth watching––but The 39 Steps didn't interest me except that you can see Hitchcock inventing the visual vocabulary of cinema--how do you show that someone is being followed?

Here's the next batch:
Triangle of Sadness (I'd liked the director's Force Majeur);
Wildlife, dir. Paul Dano (know nothing about it);
Cary Grant & Irene Dunne in The Awful Truth (I saw it 40 years ago); Mississippi Masala (1991, I'd enjoyed Mira Nair's Bend It Like Beckham)

Mikey & Nicky, written & dir. by Elaine May; 
Carnival of Souls, 1962--one of Marz's favorite films;
Jabberwocky
, by Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python) (1977, I think I saw it then);
and Certain Women (2016--never heard of it).

I'm worried that Mikey & Nicky tragic, but I have to see it (why haven't I?) because I love Elaine May. Her film A New Leaf is in the first half of my Top 100 Favorite Movies. (I tagged nine blogs posts with her name.)
When I watched Mikey & Nicky's trailer on utube, May's speech in honor of Mike Nichols popped up, and I watched it again.
She is just so wonderfully weird. Can we still say "weird" as a compliment? I mean it, of course, in the best way.


(What she says about Nichols is true, that his name was Igor--
born Mikhail Igor Peschkowsky
, November 6, 1931, in Berlin, Germany--and he really was Einstein's cousin--or anyway, his third cousin twice removed. We don't know about the peas.)

6 comments:

  1. two brilliant people who just clicked- improv- playing, staying in character. Epitome of successful meetings with people - playing with each other right off the bat. Thanks for the May speech, hilarious. Sent me to Google and all sorts of cool clips. thank you, San Fran!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just watched "Carnival of souls"- Um....

      Delete
    2. Eek-/-I should have said, Marz has rather peculiar tastes! “Carnival of Souls” is not “one of her favorites” though, she informs me, she just likes it a lot.

      My mother loved Nichols and May-/had an LP album. That’s my favorite human relationship—working partners ❤️

      Delete
    3. Carnival of Souls fan here, and I just saw that I have it in my Blogger list of favorite movies. I first saw it, tuning in somewhere in the middle, when our PBS station ran a late-night movie every weeknight. What was this?! When DVDs were relatively new, it was the first DVD I ever bought. The backstory is worth looking into. The weirdness of the sound is due to everything having to be redubbed, which just adds to the strangeness.

      When I went to Lawrence, Kansas, in 2002 to interview the classicist and translator Stanley Lombardo, the feeling of the movie seemed to hang everywhere. That’s all I’ll say.

      Delete
  2. Okay, Michael--now I'm really curious what I'll think---the first of these I'll watch is "Carnival of Souls"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine May's speech was delightful...love seeing the audience reaction too.

    ReplyDelete