Sunday, August 4, 2024

Punch Cards (in process)

IN PROCESS... Jigsaw lino, an "easy" way to make color prints:
you cut apart the block, ink each piece w/ color, and reassemble to print.  My walls can't take much more hanging art. I wanted to design something I and others might-could use: I'm working on punch cards. 


First effort--not quite right. . . (I wanted the line to invite you to write in what your punch is for.) Making my own version of an everyday-thing brings home how well-designed everyday-things are (or they wouldn't be everyday)--and that takes a lot of designing! 
My brain is… what? I just added numbers—carved two backwards, and had them process counterclockwise. 
Reversed in iPhoto:

I'll carve at least 3 more for printing on Tuesday.

Below: the sprite under my desk is helping.
__________________
The other day bink & I went for cardamom rolls at the Swedish American Institute. (It's a museum, but I don't care about that.) Ran into an old friend there, who took our photo. bink wants it noted that she is chewing...
I keep being shocked to see myself. Turning sixty (3 years ago) was a turning point, physically. News flash, huh? But I'm still getting used to the change in direction––now facing into the last quarter? of my life. (Or, hey--today could be the last day, for all we know.)

For me, the psychological changes are wonderful. I do still fret and fume, but much less. So much less. A thing I've learned is, I'm fine. You're fine.
PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTHS, and
stop trying to fix yourself.
_____________________

I met RMG at the art institute cafe yesterday, and this time I did go look at art. Marz had told me to look at Japanese printmaker (etcher) Tanaka Ryohei (1933-2019). Below: "Chrysathemum" (with spider)

Though I'd never aim for anything this intricate, it's inspiring to see things people make. 
Maybe my favorite thing yesterday was this rain wand (1900-1950), by a Mumuye artist of Nigeria--for use by a rainmaker who would position it in the ground or in a vessel.

5 comments:

  1. Looking at what others have done opens up possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Even though the iron rain sticks, for instance, are very different from prints, I do feel like visual art forms share some key elements—like, a human physically made them!

      Delete
  2. Migosh, you said "rain wand" at my place and I pictured a lightning rod of sorts. But THIS - very cool!
    Thanks for the wise words. I'll be 60 very shortly (unless I don't make it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Abby--yes, this is the rain wand I'd mentioned in a comment--it is cool, isn't it!
      I'll say "Happy 60th Birthday" right now, in case you get hit by lightning or something (GODFORBID! JOKING!)

      Delete
  3. The rain wand is very cool! And I love that it's practical and (probably) liturgical.

    ReplyDelete