Saturday, September 28, 2024

Trash Culture Institute

Trash Culture Institute (TCI) is Emily and a loose group of friends making art largely from stuff found in the alleys.
The group came apart almost as soon as it started though, and the printer who made their logo left. *

Not being good at groups either, I am unaligned, but I volunteered to carve a  lino-block for TCI, if Em wanted, for print T-shirts and what-have-you.
Yes! And could I emphasize the "cult" in culture?

My first design--too noisy (ergh, flecks of lino), but on the way:


I was not thinking of this when I made it, but it reminds me of Vienna Secessionist typography.

I like but am not in love with Vienna Secession design. Gustave Klimt, Alphonse Mucha, et al. Too tidy? Serious? Rather... chilly? (Like mid-century modern, which I also do like.)
I don't see any TOYS in it...

Cool stuff though. Take a look at this book Die Fläche: Design and Lettering of the Vienna Secession, 1902–1911, (2023) here:
shop.bl.ag/products/die-flache

[Aren't those TOYS, Fresca, above in Santa's sack?
Hm. Wrong kind. They are chilly toys!]

About the book:  "A landmark of graphic modernism, the Vienna Secession’s magazine Die Fläche (German for The Surface) is brought to life in a complete facsimile reprint...."
____________________
* I hadn't altogether loved the original TCI logo, below.
The dumpster is good, but the type is awfully tight to read. Still,
I'm glad to have the T-shirt because the printer who left took his design with him.


6 comments:

  1. Art from trash - I like it. I'm personally trying to put less in the landfills, "upcycling" as much as I can. I like your first design attempt! Very promising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Abby! yes, yay ⭐️for upcycling and all the other options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. “In situ”— that would be better than “institute”!

      Delete
  4. Big price for cool book...Trash culture- we are so on it! Mrs. Raccoon reckons it is about time!!
    I love the letters that you do make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big price! I found it used for $50, but still…
      Thanks, I’m enjoying making letters

      Delete