Friday, September 6, 2024

Show your works

Lino-cutting is not improv.
I am slow to accept this.
It could be imrovisational, but mostly it pays to get the drawing right before you carve it into the lino.

I'm pleased with this Get Well card now:
I re-carved the S, rightway-round, and hand-painted a white square on the Band-aid to make it recognizeable. It had looked more like. . . a rainstick, Marz said.

(I loved her interpretation––
"Great depiction of a historically significant event when dolls gave music to bearkind"––but it didn't match the words I'd carved.)

I printed ten cards. Please feel unwell--but just slightly!--or suffer a small nick (minor!) so I can send you one.

I made this one because my sister has Covid (for the third time) and requested a girlette card. On the same day, an old friend fell and hurt her head.

I don't usually send get-well cards, do you? By the time I would think to go buy one, the person is better.


What I could really use is a good sympathy card. You can send them anytime because people stay dead. Alas.

In the interview with musician Labri Siffre (posted yesterday), he worded how he felt after his husbands died with wonderful honesty. (He'd lived with two for years, in Wales, and they died within a couple years of each other.)
He was searching how to say what he still felt after the losses, and the interviewer suggested he was "processing".

No, Siffre said, "suffering".

Thank you.
___________________________
Show Sympathy...

I wouldn't use a girlette for a sympathy card. They don't die, and they aren't very sympathetic to human emotions--mine aren't, anyway.

"You just turn back to juice," they say about death, looking up from hand-polishing their rocks (their school project).
Refreshing, but maybe not what everyone wants to hear in their sadness.

The sympathy card I'd liked best
after my mother's suicide--the only one whose image I remember, in fact--was a woodblock print of the full moon. It was calming, comforting in its remote, cool beauty.
Funny, that card was from the sister of an old friend, someone I barely knew, who lived far away. I love that she sent it.

Don't second-guess yourself when it comes to doing love, I'd say. ______________

Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work (2010), by Matthew B. Crawford.

I got this book for $1.99 at the Goodwill in Two Harbors, MN, when I was visiting Marz last weekend––and Penny Cooper and Low were visiting Marz's girlette, Carrie Miller Morton, samurai. They're in the chair Marz bought at a garage sale:

I read the book's first page in the store, and I bought it because Crawford starts out by talking about how you can buy all sorts of used tools online---from the dismantling of high school shop classes (this was fourteen+ years ago).
"The disappearance of tools from our common education is the first step toward a wider ignorance of the world of artifacts we inhabit. And, in fact, an engineering culture has developed in recent years in which the object is to 'hide the works'...."
I'd been shocked that there was no shop at the high school where I worked---the only students who learn to use tools are those who build theater sets or those on the robotics team. Awfully specialized. (No sewing classes either.--aside from theater costuming--and no cooking or metal- or leather work at all.)

I've said before--one thing I like about printmaking is, your work shows. Maybe not if you're incredibly accomplished and it's your aim to hide your hand, but that is never going to be me.
I do want to get better, but I'm in no danger of getting that good.

16 comments:

  1. Labi Siffre was spot on with that.

    By trying to do a lino block like that your are learning...and learning fast, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his bluntness.

      Thanks, yes, I am learning a lot—from making mistakes and then trying to amend them—or just living with them (or admitting failure and throwing something out).
      It’s fun! As you know 😊

      Delete
  2. How did I just now realize that, to make prints, you have to create letters backwards?! Nice! I will try to become mildy unwell on your behalf.
    Interesting quote - so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s fun to think backwards—the whole image is reversed of course, and sometimes I forget that – – for instance when I carved the typewriter, I wasn’t thinking that of course the carriage return needs to flip to be on the left – – so it printed on the right.
      Please don’t become ill, but maybe just a bump on the knee from a coffee table? 😆

      Delete
  3. I am puzzled. After you carved the S backwards, how were you then able to carve it the right way in the same spot? Is there some kind of a filler or something?
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s all very low tech. 😊 Using an X-acto knife, I cut the “s” out of the block—I was using the softest linoleum so it was easy—turned it over, stuck it back in the block, and carved a new “s” the right way (backwards).

      Delete
    2. PS. I hear you can use wood glue maybe, for some filler? Not sure about this…

      Delete
    3. Brilliant. low tech is the way to go if it works! Thanks for explaining.

      Delete
  4. Rain stick was my thought on the bandaid image too, perhaps because we recently found one in a closet and added it to the umbrella stand. Band aid is a bit more on theme I guess.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! That is so cool and funny that you also saw a rainstick.
      Maybe it wanted to be a healing stick!

      Delete
  5. I worked in a pottery in Porthmadog and the director, a potter , also did lino printing. She was dyslexic....and drew landscapes for prints not as she saw them on paper...but direct on the lino in reverse.. awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool, GZ! I can feel my brain sort of... flipping around? I am starting to be able to design in reverse (on paper), rather than what I did at first: take a photo of my drawing,
      then reverse it in iPhoto-edit, and then copy that.

      Delete
  6. oh i need one!!!! i spent 3 hours at the hospital today -- fractured elbow with a scheduled consultation on tuesday for surgery. my neighbor drove me and we were laughing on the way home. i told him on the way there i wanted to grab him and yell "could you hit anymore potholes?" i almost passed out from pain
    now to read the rest of this post.....
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oweereeer!!! I am so sorry, Kirsten!
      BUT, the Girlettes are deelighted that you need their card 🙄
      On will be going out in the morning mail, with genuine best wishes ❤️❤️❤️
      😄

      Delete
  7. Sorry to be pushing you further down the journeyman road, but have you considered folded note cards. Your girlettes could star in all sorts of scenes then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joanne! I got your gorgeous towel today—“khaki” is too muddy a name for the luscious color.

      Please push me along! This “get-we’ll” print is a folded note card—standard 5”x7”’with envelope.
      Is that what you meant?

      Delete