Monday, September 9, 2024

Rearrange!



I. Bears for Friends

Volunteer Abby had said she wanted the first color-test strip of bears ( below, top strip)––to put up where she works with special ed students––but that print is so messy, I wouldn't let her have it.
I said I'd make another, and now I have.
I'm still adding eyes & trim (bottom strip):

I planned, took care, and managed to print cleanly (the carving lines are supposed to show)––and using only one jigsaw-cut block, it took half the time.
Not sure I like it better though...
That's okay: 
this was an exercise, not a passion project like The Escape will be (where they're trapped in the basement). Finishing that is next up.

I made the bear strip this weekend because Abby and Emily--both from the thrift store--are coming over tonight to celebrate their Virgo birthdays.

Em's aesthetic is more about death and dismemberment, but she has a five-year old, so maybe she'd like one of the strips too. (I printed three strips of each colorway.)
These friends are very different in style; I love that we all get along.

Enough with color, for now.
I'm not interested in decorative prints per se––I want to push myself to carve little stories. Black and white is perfect for that.
We'll see.

I've signed up for a couple one-night "sampler" classes (cheaper) at the expensive professional print studio, and bink & I signed up for a 5-Thursdays community ed class, Printing at Home. Looks like that's more about screen prints, but I could learn lots from that, I hope. It doesn't start till October 24.

II. Forward!

I chose "Forward"––the slogan of Wisconsin where I mostly grew up––as my word of the year, and promptly forgot about it. But many good changes have gone forward since then.

Almost immediately after quitting the thrift store in February, I saw I'd needed to leave more than I'd even thought. The constant cruelty, mostly the fallout of deprivation (- of everything), had badly ground me down.

After I left, my spirit popped back up, like it'd been...hm, trapped in the basement?
I love volunteering there though--it's my ground to touch. About once a week is manageable. Despite the terrible management and the desperate surroundings, there's a lot of joy in the place. People laugh a lot there.

BELOW: Roses hang from a fence in the parking lot, mourning the death of a young man shot there a few weeks ago

Some board member brought in a grief counselor for a staff presentation last week, after the murder in the parking lot. (Turns out it was, as we guessed, a drug-business execution. The shooter was caught.)

I rolled my eyes, "What about the last five years?"
Most of my coworkers told me they felt numb about this latest violence--the tipping point for most of them
is long past. Even for me, a relative newbie to this.
My own crisis point had forced me to realize, I AM NOT THE SAVIOR, and that was what I needed to know, to carry on.

I hate the uppity-ups in the organization--they are that useless thing, "well-meaning". (I am being unfair—that’s just how I feel, it’s not a fact that being well-meaning = uselessness.)

The special-ed assistant job was perfect to get me up and out of that spirit grinder, and I'm proud of what I did in a short time at the school. I feel a pang when I think about some of the students (the boy who I took walks with, who taught me to identify cars by their logos on front), but mostly I feel relief to be gone. There was no joy in my coworkers. They never laughed.
And I am not the savior--I cannot save the kids from the institution.

I'm applying for a job at the public library today--I'd love that.
(No word from the art store yet.)
Mostly though, I'm learning about printmaking.

III. School Report

Learning is the best thing! However you do it.
I miss Marz less than I thought I would--because she's doing so well after two weeks of college! Of course I'd a billion times rather she be thriving elsewhere than hanging out in the city I live in.

BELOW: Sign in gutter by Marz's apartment, just up the hill from Lake Superior:  "No Dumping, Leads to Lake".
But, is that a shark?

I did not trust that Marz would take to college anymore than a shark to a great lake (too cold for sharks). She certainly didn't think she would.

She's said she's almost kinda angry to be proven wrong, that her ego pride is annoyed that clichés about university are proving true:
that it opens your mind, challenges your unknown biases;
that you are pushed to find out who you are and how you relate to others;
and, . . .  that it is hard. Ha!

She'd done some community college after high school, and it was soft. She's mostly home-schooled, and a she's terrific self-educator, but it's a truth that you cannot push yourself the same as an outside force can.
...And you can sometimes lose momentum
and drift into a comfortable boredom. (I am prone to that, anyway.)

Maybe finding college a welcome slap awake is partly a matter of being an older returning student?  I went back to college around Marz's age myself, and it was a whole 'nother galaxy from my first time. (I got my BA  in Classics at 35, from the U here.) Rolling right on from high school might not have the same effect.

But also, teachers matter. Personality rules.
Marz disliked most of her classes the first day, so she switched her schedule, and she found a teacher who inspires her in a topic she's interested in:
Russian History.
(One of my favorite things Marz ever said was that The Brothers Karamazov "really picks up around page 700".)

LESSON: Don't like it? Rearrange!

And now I must rearrange my apartment—put away laundry and printmaking supplies before the birthday party tonight.

14 comments:

  1. love the side eyes of the bears! actually all of their eyes. loving the adapability of you and marz.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The bear model, Little Brother” looks sideways. I varied these bears. I find changes HARD, but in theory 😜 I welcome them.

      Delete
    2. PS.Kirsten, you seem pretty resilient yourself, with many moves and explorations!

      Delete
    3. i never thought of myself as resilient more from a german background --get stuff done!!! but having moved so much it doesn't phase me.. but i don't adapt well to not having a job or income but learning from you how to do so.
      k

      Delete
    4. Lol, and I am not so good at getting stuff done! I could use a touch of German engineering. :)

      Delete
  2. bear holding still , learning to levitate like in dreams we have all had- do not break the tension, do not disturb the molecules keeping us UP.
    I love bear!
    I also love how successful a human you are- adaptability/ adjusting to change is key!
    I also returned to university later in life- finally gtting a degree at age 35, in cross cultural communication/ English and Russian lit / creative writing. I wrote my own concentration- taking the classes that I wanted instead of the usual It was great being older, knowing what is required and knowing how to research/study and find parallels. It all falls into place, Marz will love University I do believe. I did, and I really hate "school".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LINDA SUE: Oh for heaven's sake--Russian lit?!? You must have read The Bros K too!

      Thanks for the title: "Bear Holding Still".
      I kind of disliked these color studies, but when you put it that way, I love them:
      They are working hard to hover!!!

      I don't like change so can't claim to be very adaptable, but I like even less feeling like I'm dying a soul death... So that pushes me to move along!

      Delete
    2. P.S. Like you, I really and truly did hate high school, but I like university in my 30s. Mostly I did independent studies in my field (Late Antiquity)--and then I had an affair with my professor...
      Problematic!!!

      Delete
    3. hahaha-I understand that dilemma too well. wink wink, nudge nudge...

      Delete
    4. U of Western Wa is on the quarter system rather than semester- Getting into The Brother's K was impossible in a quarter so it was extra, if we wanted to read it. Even the cliff notes are daunting - but , yes read most of it- intense soap opera , philosophical, the characters are all so damned compelling. It is a comprehensive study of "human"- the orphans gave it a big "nope", convinced that that book is what sent Dostoevski to jail.... they reckon that a book without a picture on every page is rubbish.

      Delete
    5. Lol, I am so with the Orphans here!!! Dostoevsky got imprisoned for writing long books WITH NO PICTURES!!!

      (“Wink wink” duly noted 😆)

      Delete
  3. Adding different expressions after printing works..I like them

    Uni/college IS hard....I know it isn't meant to be easy, but....
    Good to hear that Marz is doing ok.
    Here's to a happy party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GZ--I had to get over a sense that it was "wrong" to hand paint on prints--but of course there is no "wrong"--and I see plenty of "real" printers add handwork in various ways.

      I think Marz thought college would be a cake walk. She's smart and well-read, but of course it's a lot of work, and challenging too, which is just the ticket.
      Some people are like terriers--if they don't have challenges, they get naughty! Others just want to sleep on the couch, they're happy and fulfilled that way.

      Delete