Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Colorful snacks

I woke up with a feeling of well-being.
It'd been cool overnight--I'd pulled up the covers at 2 a.m. The forecast is in the 70ºs F (low/mid-20s C) for the next few days.
Tonight is printmaking class 2 of 6.
And, I'd signed up for a 2-week free trial of a nutrition-exercise program. It's a relief to start a little planning.

I've been off work for a month, and I've been indulging in my favorite foods, ice cream and beer.
(Not together, though that could be good...
Stout + French vanilla? IPA + mango sorbet? MUST TRY!)

The health app asks you perky questions about your motivations.
My ultimate motivation is avoiding having to live, immobile, in a nursing home. I want to keep my blood moving and die with all my toes on.

I accept that bad things happen to bodies no matter what, and mine will fall apart too--they're built that way. It happens to all the best people. Godbless her, but it was pathetic how an acquaintance expressed outraged when she got cancer:
"But I keep my weight down! I do yoga!"

Oh, dear.
I feel her pain. I do. But I shudder at the hidden judgment: fat people who don't do yoga are just asking for cancer. People like her should be exempt.

I'm gonna die, just like her and everybody else. Still, I could try harder to keep my digits:
I could eat some freshies.
Try, try again!
I'm happy to have a little plan of action started.
Today: farmer's market.

Also today: drawing the moth funeral. Three panels, hopefully.
I'll just draw, not carve.
I'd jumped ahead of the class in printing the woodblock at home yesterday, and it was a little trickier than linoleum. When I rinsed ink off the wood, for instance, the wood swelled and then I couldn't print again right away, unlike with nonabsorbent lino.

I'm kind of surprised how much I like carving and printing. I like it a lot. Printmaking's another of those things we reserve mostly for kids (or artists). Why do only kids get to play with shapes and colors?
And write poems, too.
The ninth graders were assigned to write sonnets.
But once you're grown-up, you "get to" stop.

Nooo, don't stop!
Pick up dead bugs, use your crayons, make up a song to sing.
Eat your healthy snacks. Apple slices!

4 comments:

  1. thick guinness and toffee ice cream, please, for breakfast and for lunch apple slices and dead bugs AND crayons- they taste how they smell, though, so know that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YES!!! Guinness and toffee ice cream!!!
      I am going to try this one day, for real. Have you?

      Delete
  2. We had some delightful elderly neighbors who would always offer a beer with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream to us when we delivered their groceries, brought garden veggies etc. Not my cultural tradition but interesting. The Guinness/toffee refinement sounds better.

    I'm enjoying your print making progress, which moved me to clean off my painting table. Now to actually paint something. It's supposed to be cooler today (around 100! Sweater weather!) so maybe...

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I didn't know beer floats was a thing--I'd never seen it--just googled it and of course it is!

      I don't mind, but why don't you set up a blog for yourself, Ceci?
      You're always so articulate, and I'd love to see photos of your life, like your painting table!

      Delete