Saturday, June 8, 2024

Summer Reading

I couldn't believe it when the teacher passed out the Summer Reading List for kids who'll be in 10th grade next year. (So, they’re mostly 15 year olds.)


Two books are atrocious choices:

Catcher in the Rye?!?!

Are you kidding me?
The woes of a 1950s prep-school boy did not touch me when I was a teen in the 1970s.
I can't imagine they are any more relatable to the students I've met. Less, for most. Far, far less.

You could say students need to stretch.
Uh, maybe? But, stretch to understand that white boys have mental health problems too? Wouldn't be my first choice for this group.
(I can't imagine the white boy students I've met relating to Holden either though. Actually, there were zero white boys in the English class of 14 students I’ve been assisting this semester. And two white girls.)

(And to assign this for young readers to read alone over the summer?
Way to turn them off.)


If that's what you want--coming of age in a John Updike world––I'd go with A Separate Peace, by John Knowles.

And The Secret Life of Bees?

Not a bad book overall--Auntie Vi loved it--(and in fact, I think it's more for older adults--not because it's hard, but because it's from an older culture)-- but have the teachers heard of the Magic Negro trope? This book is it: traumatized white girl and her Black nanny (!) are healed by Magic Black Women.

A lot of the students are themselves Black or brown... Are you implying this should be their role--to heal the wounded psyche of their white friends?
What about their own healing?

Also, if you're asking young people to read alone, on their own time, I'd choose more gripping stories.

Two are keepers:

Frankenstein. Okay, the ancestor of a trope that is very much alive --the creature and the creator...

Kindred.  Pretty cool, Octavia Butler was a pioneering sci-fi writer, and Black. But a lot of BIPOC have said they're tired of being defined by historical trauma. I'd look for something that's not about slavery, actually...

What would I add/substitute?
(***Please add your ideas in the comments!)


1. Murderbot! Of course, my favorite.
(To read alongside or instead of Frankenstein)
All Systems Red, by Martha Wells.

A created creature like Frankenstein, but with no gender or sexuality, and of indeterminate/mixed race, and a snarky sense of humor [this is half the students] must set aside its obsession with media fandom [get off your phone!] and make its own way to hard-won but somewhat unwelcome self-determination.
In other words, it's a teenager growing up.

2. Carrie, by Stephen King.
Instead of Catcher in the Rye.
Tentatively, because I haven't read this since I was young––(I checked it out of the school library yesterday to see if it's still okay)––but my instinct says something from the point of view of a wronged teenager, like Holden Caulfield, but from the underclass---here, a loser teen girl who takes revenge on her bullies.

3. There, There, by Tommy Orange
An adult book, but rated reading level Grade 9 and up. Twelve loosely connected characters, all Native (all? I think) make their various ways to a pow wow in Oakland.
Very dark, but teenage years--and real life--can be/often is this dark.

Or, the happier Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie.
(Alexie got named in #MeToo, but this book is not sexist or exploitative.) About a Native teenager on the rez making his way in a white high school---and NOT being the Magic Indian Healer!

4. I haven't read much YA lit, so I can't choose, but here's a list of good-looking Empowering Young Adult Books by Black Authors.
www.readbrightly.com/black-young-adult-books

5. Something Latinx.
I haven't read this, but a copy got donated to the thrift store and it looked good and gets great reviews:
I Am not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter, by Erika L. Sánchez.
_____________________________
So many more options!
Please suggest books you think teens would like to read----or that you liked to read when you were a teen!

Like, I'd still recommend Jane Eyre...

10 comments:

  1. I really have no idea- when i was a teen in miserable wyoming dirt with a shabby library, my summer read was the history of Buddhism , an obscure book found in the dark reaches of said library, and Lolita, - Erik's was Raptor Red and Howard Zinn's "A History of The American People". We are odd. Can't go wrong with Sherman Alexie. Bi-polar , his genius possibly a product of manic phase? Don;t know, but he can write so well , hilariously. I agrees about "Bees", wimpy kiss ass book in my opinion...Finally watched "American Fiction" last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Lolita! Marz’s mother tried to reach across the table and grab it from her when she was a teen.
      Soooo much more good stuff for teens in recent years.
      But I haven’t read much of it.

      Delete
  2. I always thought school reading assignments were intended to turn kids off reading so they could be more "productive" instead of sitting around with their "noses in a book" - how I was criticized as a kid. Never anything a kid would read for fun!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hey, that could be the hidden agenda behind choosing Catcher—and listing it first like it’s the best 🙄😆

      Delete
  3. Daniel Pinkwater, The Education of Robert Nifkin, a novel in the form of a college application essay. Jerry Craft's geaphic novels New Kid, Class Act, and School Trip, though the characters are younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about Daniel Pinkwater - although I DO one of my kids doing a big project on several of his books. Now I have something to suggest to the kid next door. So subversive.

      Ceci

      Delete
    2. Pinkwater novel looks great! Never heard of it —why not?—and now want to read it.
      Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Pinkwater wrote wonderful essays too and read some of his books on tape - a wonderful all around talent and great eccentric world view. I envy you getting to know all his stuff.

      Ceci

      Delete
    4. MICHAEL: “Class Act” about the kid who wants to be an artist might just suit the student who draws comics and wants to go to art college! Though the book is set in 8th grade, the student might accept it because it’s an example of what he wants to do…
      So thanks for that rec too.
      I could imagine doing a per-person reading list… maybe next year after I read more YA.

      Delete
  4. i always wonder about reading lists. most of them nver appeal to me. my teen-age summer reading was so different: War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, Resurrection, anything by Charles Dickens.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete