Saturday, October 19, 2024

Hej. and Joanne's Plan

Swedish hates me.
No, Swedish doesn't hate me-- but I did try for FOUR hours to carve this "HEJ." ("Hi", you know.)

I thought it'd be simple, but I should know simple is hard.
I tried "HEJ!" first, but it looked reminiscent of "HEIL".
Anyway, it never did quite balance.


Uff da
! (That's Norwegian the way egg foo young is Chinese. That is, sort of.)
Well... It's all good learning.

Joanne of the beautiful tea towels, who has long experience selling her weaving wares at shows, left such a helpful comment, I'm posting it here, so I can remember it.
Marching orders!
"In case I didn't say this already, please make up at least a hundred, and book yourself into a farmer's market or street fair next year.
Print them on anything you can find.
Do not include an envelope.

Consider how much is the cost of the venue and price to earn ten times the cost of the show if you sell out.
You can set up at a show with as little as your folding chair with a golf umbrella strapped to it. Carry your cash in a fanny pack.
And be sure to get a temporary sales tax permit, and either charge it separately or include it in your price.
Ask me anything you may want to know. I may have an answer."

Thank you, Joanne!
I will do it.
My question is---why not include an envelope?

Below: One of Joanne’s handwoven towels—with scone-makings. (I’m baking this morning for KG.)
bink & I made the recipe  booklet in 1991!



6 comments:

  1. Hej instead of HEJ? Not shouting..and easier to do??

    No envelopes is a good idea.. I put cards in with presents, or with letters that need a different size envelope...or someone might want a different colour envelope.....
    They are also an added expense...and selling them in cellophane ( not plastic, made from trees...is a good selling point as well as keeping your stock clean...
    And if you need to put sticky price labels on, they come off the cellophane without damaging the card both when on and coming off....win for you and the purchaser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GZ – – I was just looking into recyclable sleeves – – I really hate the added plastic of card packaging!
      And thanks for the insight into leaving envelopes out – – I don’t think people send many cards these days anyway …

      Yes, “hej” would be easier!
      I started out on this design without really thinking about it – – I don’t even want to do that word as a card – – thought it would be easy practice—
      Ha!

      Delete
  2. Envelopes cost money. Instead, think of all the reasons not to use an envelope.
    They will never fit a standard envelope!
    Such a nuisance to dig this gem out of an envelope.
    If you just leave it out for public consumption, you'd have to find some use for the envelope.
    ETCETCETC. Your imagination is better than mine, which mostly knows envelopes cost money and you're a wild and crazy new artist who'd rather print charming thoughts.
    Seriously, when I think of some our original set ups, I'm embarrassed, but no one cared but the two of us. We didn't have a tent at our first show and it rained. My sister ran to town, literally, and bought sheets of plastic. What came home hung in my basement and dried. It's a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your tips and your encouragement, Joanne!
      I love this: "you're a wild and crazy new artist who'd rather print charming thoughts"--LOL--thank you!
      I like your sister--running into town--a good partner in a craft show!
      Adventures await!

      Delete
  3. joanne made some wonderful comments. and i would add that some of the prints may require odd size envelops that require extra postage, etc. you could always include a link on a small piece of paper as to how to make their own envelopes! the farmer's market is a great suggestion. the only downside is that some of them have become quite rigid and require photos etc of what you would be selling. so be a renegade and search one out that isn't that rigid.
    having sold at craft markets in the mid 80's be prepared for the people who like the card but wish it were a different color, size, word, etc. be stern and just say "no" to those requests. because as soon as you make that different color, size, word, people will want something else!!
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good pointers, Kirsten--thanks!
      I bought blank cards w/ envelopes so could make and sell those AS WELL as frameable prints on nice paper--or on cool old vintage ephemera!
      I'll just see what I come up with...

      Delete