Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Pain Management: Make some noise

Did you know MUSIC helps with pain? Studies prove it!

Anyone who listens to music knows this, I imagine.
But music is distracting when I'm reading or writing, which I often am (distraction is one of its powers when you're in pain), and I don't listen to much music.

I am starting now--part of my Preemptive Pain Reduction Plan.
No, really, because I miss it.

I am making a playlist.
Here're my first three selections:
ELO's "Sweet Is the Night"
Sly and the Family Stone, "Everybody Is a Star"
Zero8, "Change the World"

A comment on "Sweet Is the Night":
"I used to have to go to the library to listen to this record. That was over 40 yrs ago now. Wow, so much has changed"

Yes. I mostly stopped listening when music went digital. I didn't make the leap.

I found the medical studies about music & pain this morning,  following up my video "Can we stay centered, when in pain?"
It wasn't a rhetorical question, I want to know. I hadn't expected music to pop up--I was thinking meditation and quiet, inner stuff.

Yes, but also--make some noise!

I'd bet making music is even more effective than listening alone (depending on the pain, of course).

I went looking for sacred harp singing (I love that clanging twang) and ended up at the Alan Lomax library on youTube:
youtube.com/@AlanLomaxArchive

Here, "the extended Wootten-Ivey family of Sand Mountain, Alabama, sing "Wondrous Love" from the Sacred Harp. Shot by Alan Lomax and crew, June c. 4-6, 1982":


How many of us sit around together and sing? I NEVER do.
__________________

I also want to know where people stand on the diagnoses of personality disorders and other psychological or neurological states, some of which are thrown around lightly in pop/culture, seems to me.

A few years ago I swore to stop doing that myself--casually labeling someone, "Oh, they're a narcissist; must be on the spectrum", or whatever.
That casual labeling is prevalent in the society around me.
I find it is often more reductive than expansive--making the labeler (me!) more comfortable maybe, but no better than that.

And then at the high school, I saw certain students were diagnosed with heavy-hitting permanent labels when it seemed likely that their behaviors were reactions to impermanent situations around them. (I'm no expert, but talking to them, sometimes I could see and hear this.)

I tried to make a video about that but felt myself too far out on a slim limb. I worried I'd sound like I was dismissing the very real HELP that better understanding of disorders can bring.
Like, I hear people dismiss help for psychological suffering as if it were unnecessary "coddling".
No!
We do not want to go back to the dark ages here.


But, yeah, there're medical papers on this too, like,
"Too Much, Too Mild, Too Early: Diagnosing the Excessive Expansion of Diagnoses" (Int J Gen Med. 2022):

"[Diagnoses] do very much good ....
In this article, however, I focus on the less good aspects of expanding diagnoses. The aim is to enhance the good side of diagnoses (expansion) by avoiding the bad ones...

To halt excessive diagnosing, we must stop diagnosing
a) ordinary life conditions
like loneliness and grief (potentially better dealt with by others or left alone)
b) mild conditions, and
c) early signs that do not give pain, dysfunction, and/or suffering (precursors of disease that do not develop into disease, such as obesity, high blood glucose...)"
I hope this all is a regrettable but predictable side-effect of a good thing--the better understanding of and help for human suffering.

 I wish we (I?) would take up more group singing.

8 comments:

  1. I wish the medical profession would realize that everyone experiences pain differently. the emergency room wanted to give me fentanyl for the pain: that was a big "oh hell no!" and for after the operation prescribed oxy which I refused. only tylenol for 3 days and essentially pain free. a friend of mine who knows about eastern medicine told me that sometimes what we think is the problem (neck ache) may be the result of some other issue in the body. I think at times people want quick fixes to pain rather dealing with the issue head-on. taking a. pill is seen as easier than finding the source. I could be wrong!!
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s interesting Kirsten, I thought hospitals were reluctant to prescribe any opiates or the like. I’m glad you were okay with Tylenol.
      We’re so used to these over-the-counter pain meds, I think people forget how very powerful they are. Remember when ibuprofen was a prescription drug?

      If a quick fix *always* worked, wouldn’t that be nice, but we’re more complicated than that.

      Delete
  2. ps and compare the music that Alan Lomax and his son recorded to what is the music today. I just can't get into it. I spent a lot of time listening to the older stuff especially delta blues for some years. at my house we've had one porch singalong but the music chosen was eh.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know a lot about music, but it seems driven by commerce rather than sing-ability. We listen to music, we don't make it ourselves.

      Delete
  3. labeling people is not a judgement when the so called labeling is correct- It is observational and respectful- In the deaf community people are described - "he is tall, he is fat, he has blue eyes" The "he is fat" causes some distress to the hearing as that seems somehow judgemental. If someone is on the spectrum , and it is mentioned, that lets others know to adjust their expectations of neurotypical. It can be subtle. as with ADHD- knowing what to adjust to is helpful dealing with that limitation. With prefrontal wiring that is different, the person is "odd". There are unexplained behaviours that baffle others in the typical world- and can be interpreted as "that guy is a jerk" "WTF is wrong with that guy?" Masking is a thing, too. ADHD have learned to mask to get by in social situations. If unaware that it is ADHD it seems false- pretend- a lie . It is so important to KNOW about developmentally different wiring - if it has a label it is helpful for the description of that person. Partner of undiagnosed ADHD mate with control issues and insecurities is a challenge especially when pinning down the why's of behaviors.Glossing over - carrying their water, smoothing the rough edges, making excuses, when , if it had been known that weird behaviours were not intentionally harmful, it would have been helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, you point out the benefits of diagnoses! And losing the shame of being "different" or "weird" (one reason I like but don't like Walz calling Trump "weird").

      I was talking about a popular habit of casual labeling of people who are NOT actually diagnosed, we are using the terms to name/shame and blame.
      It's a complicated subject, and I was worried I would come across wrong in a short video---even perhaps have in this post.

      Delete
    2. P.S. Thanks for your comment, Linda Sue. It spurred me to post a little more about this today. More clearly, I hope...

      Delete
    3. P.P. S. you've recently alluded to this--and here you say clearly you are a "Partner of undiagnosed ADHD mate with control issues and insecurities is a challenge".
      Wow, yes! That is a challenge!
      A friend has diagnoses but untreated ADHD---it is a BEAR!!!

      Delete