Monday, September 23, 2024

Memory Delivery Systems

Auntie Vi always liked to help me out with practical items, nice ones like top-of-the-line kitchen gadgets and colorful throw pillows. This didn't stop when she died, naturally enough.

In the first year after Vi's death, a shower curtain––a white waffle cotton one,
like new, set out folded on top of a dumpster––showed up right around her August birthday. The second year, same time, a crock pot (with instruction booklet) in the alley. Both were items I actively wanted at that time.

This year, a bookshelf--but not till yesterday. You're late, Auntie Vi!

Yesterday morning, Marz had driven away after a visit, taking her little bookshelf back up to Duluth. It's hers, and she needs it. Textbooks. I'd been using it for printmaking supplies though, and I didn't have a replacement.

I had to stay in
yesterday because my right psoas (hip flexor) muscle was locked up. (Painful.) I was reading and feeling a bit put-upon when I saw a neighbor across the street setting out a short bookshelf with a FREE sign.
I hobbled over--the bookshelf was perfect-- and the neighbor even carried it back for me.


It's from IKEA, I think--
nice and deep for holding papers.
Thank you, Auntie Vi, for having been a person I now associate with useful gifts.

The appearance of a couple other things reminds me of people now dead.

My father loved Monarch butterflies, and when a single one floats across my path, I always greet it with his name: "Hello, Daniele!"

The number 8, the sideways infinity symbol, was my friend Barrett's favorite. When I see a lone eight--like, on a scrap on the ground--it gives me a vivid sense of her. "Barrett, it's you!"
_________________

A woman comes out of the fog.
[content note: suicide]

My mother doesn't have a signifier, or not a simple, happy one.
My relationships with Vi, my father, and Barrett were straightforward. Not without strife and (especially with my father) pain, but not complex.

My mother––Lytton––was a maze of a personality. Wonderous, often, but expensive to know, and her death by suicide created a toxic fog, a veil that came down around her life.
She loved me, I don't doubt, but since her death, no one simple object has popped up every so often to announce her loving presence.
Mostly when something reminds me of her, I feel a slicing pain.

I wonder, now that I'm moving into my own old age, beyond where she went, if that veil might lift. Or, if I might move through it, somehow...

If Lytton were alive, she'd be turning ninety this November.
But last year on what would've been her 89th birthday, I had a strong sense that she'd have already died from natural causes by then, and that I didn't need or want to keep commemorating her death day anymore. And I didn't that year, and I won't this year.
It is over and done.


I sense that that (awareness of completion) is and will be liberating, unfogging in some way... I've never found it helpful to PUSH for anything around my mother's death--clarity or gifts or anything. Pursuing books, therapy, projects, etc.
No.

For me, it's been more helpful simply to stay receptive.
It (what? the fog?) moves at its own speed–– s l o w l y ––but it moves.

Go gently.
_____________________

P.S. I had started A Lytton Project, which was great--for a while.
It included some watercolors, which I still love.
Here from 2013:

My mother, Lytton(a) Virginia Davis, twenty-one years old (1955)

I'd told Marz I wasn't sure I could handle painting my mother, it made me feel so heavy, and she said, why don't you paint her things?

BELOW: Lytton's 1956 Buick, her lipstick (orangey), and a pack of Marlboro cigarettes
  _________

P.P.S. Oh! Here's a thing I've felt moved to do and finally did just now:
I went back into my old blog, l'astronave (2007–2023) and deleted the posts I've been double-posting there since I started this blog, Noodletoon, in late 2023.
(Speaking of foggy, some feelings I had about others had fogged me in on that blog.)

I've blogged here long enough, roots have taken hold. I see this as a continuation--on October 7, I'll celebrate my 17th continual year blogging. I am here now.
_____________

I always add:
The suicide crisis lifeline in the US is 988--you can phone, text, or chat: https://988lifeline.org

6 comments:

  1. Well done Auntie Vi!

    Yes, move on. I can't remember my mother's death date... dad's, yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auntie Vi always delivers!
      Research dates, for me it’s the opposite – – my father was not close, and though I sometimes miss calling him up and chatting, I’ll find that his death date has come and gone and I haven’t noticed.

      Delete
  2. LOVE the "things" paintings, and the passport with a face that so looks like you. I love your eye brows- I have none. fI have a friend who has doubel occupancy with her son- keeps things tidy- one grave, one bouquet, one rock from the beach. I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily, I never noticed my eyebrows until I started doing these youTube videos---they are so much darker than my hair!
      One grave for two, makes sense. I sense a sad story that her son died too though...

      Delete
  3. A "Lytton project" - wonderful. I agree with Linda Sue, the resemblence is keen in the passport watercolor photo.
    Auntie Vi takes good care of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby.
      Auntie Vi is just the sort of person who really would deliver USEFUL things from the afterlife!

      Delete