Wednesday, July 24, 2024

First printing!

My first printing! In last night's relief printmaking class at Highpoint Studio. The teacher gave us an excellently thorough demo (unlike the glass teacher), and it took a while to get set up. 

I only had time to print the first two (of four) panels of "The Moth Burial"--ten prints.
The booklet will be folded up, accordion style.
Don't know what I'm going to do with them . . .  * * *Anyone want one?
Lmk--in the comments, or email me (frescadp at gmail).


I'd like to keep making story-strips like this--I've got that
movie-making, storytelling, bookish impulse.
I'm the only one who divided their woodblock into different picture-areas--plus used the back.
(As I mentioned, Grateful J literally sawed the block half because I'd carved the pages in reverse. That turned out better anyway, allowing me to space out the panels.)


I hope there's a class there this fall so I can keep using the equipment, plus keep learning in person--seeing other beginners' work, you can see what works and what doesn't.

And it's fun to be around other makers--I loved seeing everyone's prints.
Everyone else carved one picture on their woodblock.

One woman carved a head of cabbage with a slice cut off, revealing the inner folds and curls... Super intricate!
What else...? A diving loon (a wonderful graphic choice--loons have black and white markings anyway); a nighttime camping scene on the shore of a lake; broken windows in a ghost town;
a horned woman with a bird (my friend KG);
the St. John's bridge in Portland, OR; a dragon;
a cat's face;
and a fairy tale monster--this by retired professor Jack Zipes, who is famous in that field (Brothers Grimm & Sicilian tales).

Printing on a professional press (there's a big roller drum to my left in the above photo) is a doddle--so much easier than rubbing the back of your paper with a wooden spoon.  Some minor glitches arose––e.g., I applied ink unevenly on the two blocks––but as you can see, the prints are dark and crisp.

I might build a simple home press--like a flower press--I see them online.
Hm, I also see all sorts of DIY hacks--adapt a panini maker! (we get them at the store); use a cold press laminator... Must explore more options.

Today is my thrift-store volunteer day, so off I go to that.
Have a lovely one, everyone!

11 comments:

  1. hand raised!!! this class sounds so fun. it turns out our art center here offers printing classes so maybe i'll be in one this fall!
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, Kirsten, I’ve got you down for a copy—and I really want you to take that class if you want to – – I’d love to see what you do!

      Delete
  2. the orphans and their human LOVE the prints - WANT!!! Desire! Must have! Please please pretty peanut butter please!
    I would love to use big printer gear! How satisfying to have them come out so well.
    Maybe it is time for me to think of printing greeting for Girlette day, Moth day, orphan on a horse day- so many days! Loving your printing so much- I think you have found something really good to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also send your hair , I need more hairs to keep my one hair company and you have SO much!!!

      Delete

    2. Lol—I’d gladly share some of my hair, but truth to tell I am losing it daily myself – – by the time I catch up with you, I think I too shall have one hair

      Delete
    3. I want the greeting cards printed!!! Or a whole Orphan calendar from you ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! These look great. Even if there is no fall class maybe they have something like open studio nights?
    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The studio offers monthly access, but it’s pretty expensive. I’ll have to see if they offer a one time access. It’s a professional studio not really a community resource so I’m not sure… But maybe having taken a class there they let students?

      Delete
  4. Yes, please, I’d like one.

    By the way, the interior of a red cabbage is pretty psychedelic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve got you down, Michael. Yes the red cabbage interior was very wavy gravy! But you can imagine, carving it is anything but loosey-goosey – – it takes very tight and controlled handwork—I don’t think I could even do it

      Delete