Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Regular-life tarot cards

I read tarot a little when I was in my twenties but was never fluent in it. The cards didn't satisfactorily fit my life, but I loved their art.
It might be fun to design a few idiosyncratic personal ones.

If I were designing tarot cards, I would make one for the
satisfaction-to-the-point-of-joy that comes from taking care of unpleasant business, (like paying bills but) best exemplified by making a dental appointment.

Yesterday I had the extra happiness of learning that the dentist I've gone to for years even though they don't take the State's poor people's insurance does take the school district's dental insurance (for which I pay $4/month).

I felt giddy! I met bink at tea time and I hugged her with the good news, "The dentist takes my insurance!"
[Reason no. 7 to love my job.]

What spiritual quality/experience does this illustrate? What is it a metaphor for?
Not just taking care of business, but being happy about it, like when you hear yourself say, "Oh, good! Someone cancelled, and I can get my teeth cleaned on Monday at 7:30 before work!"

The joy of averting disaster by willingly signing up for smaller unpleasantnesses... Is this the joy of sacrifice maybe?
Mmm, no... I'm thinking of it as a sign of being grown up--and the unexpected but satisfying satisfaction that comes with that.

I was thinking about spiritual/psychological metaphors yesterday after blogging about giving away
the money I'd inherited from my mother's family.
On an individual level, the umbrella question is,
What do I inherit that is hurtful or limiting, and how can I divest myself of that? (The political question of inheriting systems of harm is related but different.)

What would illustrate that symbolically--liberating your personal self from inherited bad stuff?
Like releasing your leg from a bear trap?

You're free by your own efforts of something that was not your fault, but you're not unaffected.

Via exploremarmaris.com/read/Survival/How%20to%20Free%20Your%20Leg%20from%20a%20Bear%20Trap.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment