Friday, June 21, 2024

Print Project: donations (curious); Objects of Affection

I started sketching some "Curious Donations" from the thrift store--ideas for the 6-week relief-printmaking class that starts in a couple weeks.
Maybe a little book/portfolio of six objects?

This is partly inspired by the illustrations of flea-market finds in Belonging. Plus,
on l'astronave I have a tab for "donations (curious)".

Rather than trying to tell a complicated story, I'm thinking of what will help me to learn color printing. How to visualize in reverse?
How to design, cut, and line up the puzzle-pieces that add color?--and have visual and story-telling interest.

For that: objects with simple (abstractable), recognizable, visually interesting (decorative) forms, with easy-to-separate colors.
And some suggestion of a story, signs of human use.
Plus, all REAL donations I've seen, not made up.

A favorite: holy medals (choose one--a blue plastic Mary?) strung on a diaper pin w/ yellow plastic ducky closure.
(Holy medals on safety pins are an old-fashioned thing, but I only ever saw this one that was clearly a diaper pin--with a cute animal.
It's hanging by my front door.)

Little, worn-out objects from a sewing basket. (A card of sew-on snaps with some missing.)
A half-eaten donut with pink frosting & sprinkles. Etc.


More ideas to come.

Too complicated? Dead mouse in the bottom of a grocery bag with an early US edition of Sylvia Plath's Bell Jar.

Or, simpler-- just a dead mouse?
But that's not colorful...
Oh, wait-- it could be gray/brown + black.
Too gross?
No, I just looked it up--
a dead mouse could look sweet, with delicate pink feet (tricky registration) and a white tummy.
Dead mice are definitely a feature of thrift work...

Something from the category for Contents of Dead Person's Desk/Bedside table.
I don't want to be too disgusting (no emesis basins or false teeth).  A folder of receipts and old bills?
Expired driver's license?
Oh, a FAMILY PHOTO...
Yes...!
(Which one?)


I want to carve words too--because I like words.
Maybe one per image?
Like, "Microwaved" for the Cool Whip container with its bottom nuked into ripples.

Or, a not so literal but related comment? "Forever" (Ugh, no, I don't want to preach.)
Or, a joke (but true): "Vegan"

Or, it could be more than one word.
Common phrases from thrift:
"Someone could use this." [sarcastic mimic of what donors of junk must be thinking--but I don't want this to be social commentary]
"What is this?"
"WHY?!?!"

As I write about this, I realize I want the objects to be objects of my affection, not despair.
This could include a dead mouse (tenderness), and 
I love broken toys, so that's good.
But not the melted Cool Whip container (also, too Andy Warhol--ditto the half-eaten donut with pink frosting?).

I want to have these prepared so I can jump into working.
Printmaking needs prep (not my usual style). Then the carving and printing is an execution of ideas already completed--with surprises provided by the materials and the process.

1 comment:

  1. this is a fantastic to come up with some ideas before the class. nothing like getting in a class and your mind going totally blank on what to draw. plus the added bonus of thinking of some ways to learn certain techniques.
    this class sounds like so much fun.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete