Friday, June 7, 2024

Teaching through Knowing

One more week until the end of school...
I'd just said I wouldn't do this job as a volunteer, but I would see a couple of the students.
I was wondering if I could see kids over the summer... Is that even legal (since they're minors and I'm a school employee)?

The student who handwrites the bears' names for me, for instance, asked me if we could take the light rail together. (One of his loves.)
I said he'd have to ask his mom.
And another, the one who wants to draw comics, could use some guidance in that direction. Could I go to a museum with him or something?
I must look into this.

(Geez, I feel like setting up individualized summer programs for some of the students who would love the engagement. Others wouldn't (or, I wouldn't). I realize this could get very tricky, getting emotionally, personally involved....)

Meanwhile, I wonder how I could help the English teacher in the last week. One student actually complained that the class hadn't READ enough!
And it's true--the teacher shows a lot of videos, even of books being read aloud on screen--and there's a lot of in-class writing (which is good)-- but the students do very little actual reading.

I might suggest to the teacher that we read a short story (or two) next week. The one I remember best from high school--and looking it up, I see people still recommend it--is Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery".
 
That class, which I dreaded every day at first, has turned out to be the best--because the students are "level 2--intermediate support needs", which means they can do a lot on their own, and the teacher has let me do my own thing with them. I've gotten to know a lot of them.

Yesterday was a work day--the students were supposed to be catching up on missed work, while the teacher sat in the corner and graded.
I was wearing ochre jeans with a green top, and one of the girls said, "Your outfit reminds me of someone... Who is it?"

Other students called out, "Stand up, we can't see."
I stood up, and another girl called out, "Shaggy!" and others said "Yeah!"
A character from Scooby Do (here)!


I am not always prepared for what comes at me.
The other day while the teacher was out of the room (she pops out a lot), a student asked me if I was LGBTQ.

I was totally caught off guard and wasn't sure what to say.
I mean--it's complicated.
So I said I'd been single for 20 years, and I liked being that way, so I was an ally, but it didn't really apply.

And they said, "Oh, you're asexual!"
And I said, "Kinda." (Yeah, kinda?)

Geez. I guess it wasn't a bad answer...
And anyway, I remembered the most important thing--to let THEM talk--and I asked the student how she identified.
She said, "I'm bi," which seems to be a normal thing for young people?
I said, "cool".
And another girl said she'd never had a boyfriend, and I reassured her that is normal for a freshman. (Geez again.)

A coworker said you should never let students ask you personal questions, but I don't agree. They're not exactly personal--I mean, I don't think it's primarily about me--they want to learn about themselves, and isn't the life of other people--adults--a good way to learn?
Especially because some students aren't getting much parental guidance.

I don't know...! This is all new to me, but that's what I wanted in high school--honest engagement--and if students ask me something, I will answer in some kind of way, not shut them down.
That could include saying I don't want to talk about it--but explaining WHY.

This all led to the students telling me that a couple of the girls in class are dating each other.
"Is that a secret?" I said, frowning, wondering if they were outing their classmates.
But this is not my high school days--- one of the girls involved said no, it wasn't a secret.

So again I said, "Cool!" And added, "You two are both such neat people, and so creative!"
(They are both super creative IN THEIR OWN TIME. I was shocked that one of them is getting a D in class, because I read the stories she writes on her Tumblr and they're terrific!)

I really don't know....
These are such young humans!
in a crazy world! And they're supposed to sit quietly and watch videos in class...?
It doesn't seem ideal.
We could be talking about life . . . through reading!
Huh. There's an idea, eh?

Let me say again, I don't know.
But I do have some objective successes.

Yesterday the students could work on old assignments to improve. I sat with
Mr Comix and encouraged him to do some rework.

He grumbled, and I said, "I'm only pushing you to do this because you need good grades to get into art college. It's worth the effort."

And he said, "I know, I know... It's okay..."
And then, HE DID IT. He rewrote two assignments!
My intuition to get to know the students personally can pay off.

12 comments:

  1. i think it's so hard these days to know how much you should say to students or how to talk with them. when i was teaching at ucla we had to watch videos on harrassment, etc which to me really put a chill on how i emailed or responded to students. i made sure all of my emails were very neutral in response.
    i remember in college and law school several professors would invite our class over for dinner, picnics, or get togethers. i have a feeling that really doesn't happen anymore. some of those connections were the ones that helped you in life.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just asked a teacher who said get written permission from everyone—parents, caseworker etc and share a clear written itinerary of where and when you’re going—
      I don’t think I’m going to do this this last minute

      Delete
    2. No, it all has to be planned foreward meticulously.
      Just like school..no spontaneity

      Delete
    3. the teacher said exactly what i was going to suggest! and i might add have another school adult with you also.
      kirsten

      Delete
    4. KIRSTEN: heh—I’m certain none of my coworkers would do this with me for free 😆
      GZ: the planning puts me off

      Delete
  2. That's been my observation of educators in the family - even at the undergrad college level there is a lot of caution and documentation around out of school interactions. I can understand why but there are things lost too. I do notice that our local community recreation department class offerings include one for teens/pre-teens on creating a 'zine - that would be an approach; I don't think the pay for teachers is a lot but there would be a protective structure and air conditioned venue. Probably a bit late to set something up this summer.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it’s good to be careful with vulnerable young people of course…
      We have some good community Ed class offerings—and the library has lots for teens too.. But I don’t really want to teach a class to new students, just follow through with a couple students I already know.

      Delete
    2. Lol but you’re right—the air conditioning appeals 😆

      Delete
  3. i just had a thought. instead of doing it this summer what if you organized with the school a series of outings over next summer. perhaps the school might find funding for it. there might even be others who might want to participate. and i'm sure the parents would love the opportunity for their child to learn something over the summer.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the students I work with would probably love this—summer field trips

      Delete
    2. a former neighbor has a child with autistic tendecies and he told me that the hardest part was the summer. they sent him to summer school just so his learning would be retained. i think it was only for a few hours every day but it helped him retain some of what he had learned in school that year. frankly most kids would benefit from some type of structure over the summer.
      and you are right there might be others who would love summer field trips.
      kirsten

      Delete