Thursday, April 18, 2024

Change It Up

What are the teachers I work with thinking?
Yesterday the students were to choose a song to analyze for the Poetry unit. But, Teacher said, "It has to be school appropriate".

Of course half of the students don't listen to school appropriate music--the songs they chose were full of sex and drugs and violence and racial terms...
"But that's what I listen to!" they said.

So, there was a classroom full of unhappy students who felt shut down. I felt put on the spot, enforcing a half-baked rule.
This teacher seems to lesson plan day-by-day, on the fly... and I am not included. I'd say, let them analyze whatever they are listening to--OR, the teacher could pre-choose acceptable songs from contemporary music--Beyonce does some.
Nothing I can do about that.

Jeepers!

[UPDATE: I found and texted to the teacher a site full of BeyoncĂ© lyrics that are empowering for women. Still not exactly squeaky “clean”, but I think they’re fine.]

In my morning classes, I can change things up, and I took steps to do that yesterday.
I talked to the lead teacher about how
I'd like to be more useful.  Sometimes I'm a fifth wheel. Literally, occasionally there'll be five grown-ups and five kids in a classroom.
It's great to be well staffed, but this is ridiculous.

(Also, I'm aware that regular folks pay for my work out of their own pockets. There's not even enough: the school budget is getting cut for next year.)

And, when lead teacher isn't there (the first half of the day), often we're watching a movie... THREE times this week. Full-length movies, like Kung-Fu Panda or a National Geographic nature documentary. So we're all sitting around in the dark. I bring something to do--sewing (I sit by a window for light), or this week, my linoleum block from the student's art class.

First Holy Bear Card in progress---BED BEAR. (I reversed the image--of course I am carving the letters backwards, to print.)


So now, when this happens, I'm to work one-on-one with a student-- go to the library ("media center") and work on special projects, etc.
Yay!


The lead teachers is half-time, and she said, "I hope the class isn't usually watching movies three times a week."

She trusts her staff, but yeah, they're defaulting to showing movies.
I didn't say so. I said, "Well, this week it's been raining."
True--we'd normally watch two movies this week---still two too many, I think.
Kids watch a lot of media at home, it's clear. We could be playing games, doing work, making birdhouses... I don't know! A million things.

Speaking of art class... I ran into an old pal yesterday and I got talking about the found-pencil project. The other day for the first time, a student picked up a pencil and handed it to me! Time is different with the students, and I count that a big success.

This old pal showed me some sculptures he'd seen and photographed in the Oregon airport that incorporate pencil ends as decoration, art by Hilary Pfeifer, of Eugene Oregon:

4 comments:

  1. oh dear! it sounds like some are resorting to what is the easiest instead of coming up with activities for the students during that morning. and i'm not sure if i were a parent i would want to hear that my child is watching movies like they do at home.

    as a suggestion perhaps coming up with a list of activities they could do would be a start. i know that sometimes when pressed to on-the-spot come up with ideas it's hard!! just asking as i haven't looked it but i would think that someone has come up with ideas somewhere.

    i never understood the whole parent/kid tv thing. i didn't have a tv when growing up so we never had that option. that option becomes the easiest when bored or trying to come up with an activity. it's the easy way out. my sister resorted to it with her two kids because it was easy and even she does it quite a bit. let someone else entertain me not let me entertain myself!

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Movies in class -- sigh. Some college profs used to use up a whole week by splitting up a movie over two or three meetings. I'm not sure that still happens in the era of streaming.

      It's tricky when you ask students to choose a poem or song lyric. Someone will always want to write about a poem by a relative (and not their great-great-great aunt Emily D.!). And some lyrics -- misogynist, violent, filled with the n-word -- could make for a really toxic classroom environment. It's hardly good planning to issue an invitation and then tack on a "but." Someone who's teaching needs to think those things through.

      Delete
  2. Well this really takes me back to when our kids were in elementary school and we wanted to take them on a trip to Mexico combining a school week and spring break. Principal said no. I argued trip would also be educational more so than movies in class etc. finally worked out with the caveat that they had to do a trip report which was actually fun. Subsequently a parent with a kid in one of their classes told me they had daily afternoon movies because the teacher was out all week. Glad I stuck to my guns!!!!!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only ones we saw were the Bell Labs series of films now available on youtube --https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaCL8HsdSa1G03cC62RqsDcF4PJw-6k9y. the wikipedia article has a great background on the series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_System_Science_Series
    frank capra was the director for 4 of them. i didn't know that they had originally been made for tv and then were provided free to classrooms. the one that sticks in my mind is the one on time.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete